Cherry Cider Roast Duck
Duck is a wonderful alternative to turkey if you are feeding a smaller group of people. This Cherry Cider Roast Duck has a fabulous festive flavour and wonderfully crisp golden skin.
How long will it take?
3 ½ hours
What’s the serving size?
What do I need?
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large shallot, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 500 mL cherry cider
- 1 whole duck, approximately 2 kgs
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 fresh sage leaves
- ½ cup cherries, pitted and chopped
How do I make it?
- Add olive oil to a small saucepan over medium heat. Add shallot and garlic and cook until the shallot has softened. Add a pinch of salt and the cider, increase heat and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the volume has reduced by half.
- Season duck inside the cavity and on the skin with salt and pepper. Place sage leaves inside duck cavity.
- Use half the cider mixture to brush over the duck.
- Roast duck for 3 hours, or until the skin is crisp and golden brown. Rest for 15 minutes.
- Add cherries to the remaining cider mix. Reheat over low heat until hot. Serve with duck.