Sticky Glazed Spring Lamb with Chickpea and Olive Salad
A fresh, light and zingy salad balances the richness of this sticky glazed lamb perfectly.
How long will it take?
What’s the serving size?
What do I need?
For the lamb
- 1 leg of lamb (approx. 1.3kg)
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and diced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste, divided
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 100ml red wine
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- Salt and pepper
For the salad
- 400g tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 100g pitted black olives, roughly chopped
- 250g tomatoes, roughly hopped
- 2 tbsp mint leaves, torn
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, torn
- 2 tbsp spring onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
How do I make it?
- Preheat oven to 120C.
- Heat a large frying pan over high heat. Rub the lamb with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Sear lamb on all sides in the frying pan and then place in a baking dish.
- Return frying pan to medium heat and add remaining olive oil. Add onion, garlic and chilli and cook until the onion is soft.
- Add 1 tablespoon of tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly for 3 minutes. Add rosemary, wine and vegetable stock. Use a wooden spoon to scrape any stuck bits from the bottom of the pan and bring to the boil.
- Pour wine mixture over the lamb, cover with foil and cook for 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and strain half the cooking liquid into a small saucepan. Add remaining tomato paste to the saucepan, place on medium high heat and cook until the liquid has thickened to a glaze consistency.
- Increase oven to 200C.
- Brush glaze over lamb and return to the oven. Reglaze it every 5-8 minutes, cooking for a total of 30 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to rest.
- Combine all salad ingredients together in a large bowl and toss well.
- Carve lamb and serve with salad.