Chicken and Spring Vegetable Pot Pie
Featuring the fresh flavours of spring, this chicken pie is packed full of herbs and vegetables in a tasty lemony mustard sauce.
How long will it take?
1 ¼ hours
What’s the serving size?
What do I need?
- 500 g washed potatoes, cut into bite sized pieces
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into rounds
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 400 g chicken thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup plain flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp table salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch asparagus, woody ends removed, cut into pieces
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ cup water
- 1 tbsp thyme, chopped
- 1 tbsp tarragon, chopped
- 2 tbsp chives, finely chopped
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges, to serve
How do I make it?
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Add potatoes and carrots to a large saucepan of boiling salted water and simmer until just tender. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a large cast iron casserole dish over medium-high heat and add 1 tbsp olive oil. Add chicken thighs and cook until browned on all sides. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add a little more oil to the pan and toss in leeks, garlic, and fennel, and sauté until translucent. Make a well in the centre of the pan and add the flour, stirring constantly, then gradually add milk, stirring to create a smooth sauce. Add the mustard, salt and pepper and stir well. Return chicken to the pan and mix through the carrots and potatoes.
- Add asparagus, peas, lemon juice, water, thyme, tarragon, and chives, and stir to combine.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool for a few minutes before covering the filling with pastry. Use the lid of the casserole dish as a guide to cut a round of pastry and place on top of the pie filling. Cut a slit in the centre to allow steam to escape when cooking. Use excess pastry around the edges of the pie top.
- Brush with egg and cook in the oven for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 150 and bake for a further 15 minutes or until the pastry is golden and puffed.
- Serve hot with lemon wedges on the side.