Mango and Avocado Black Rice Salad
Mangoes add colour and sweetness to the black rice. This is delicious as an accompaniment to grilled fish.
How long will it take?
What’s the serving size?
What do I need?
- 2 oranges
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 cups wild rice
- 2 just-ripe mangoes, peeled, pitted, cut into 1cm dice
- 1 avocado cut into 1cm dice
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion (about 1/2 large onion)
- ½ cup unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts
- 6 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 jalapenos, seeded, minced
How do I make it?
- Remove peel and white pith from oranges. Working over a medium bowl to catch juices, use a small sharp knife to cut between membranes to release orange segments into bowl. Squeeze membranes over bowl to release any juices. Strain juices through a fine-mesh sieve into a small bowl; reserve orange segments.
- Add lime juice, vegetable oil and fish sauce to bowl with orange juice; whisk to blend. Set dressing aside.
- Bring rice and 2 ¾ cups water to a boil in a large saucepan. Season lightly with salt. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until all liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 25 minutes. Remove pan from heat and let stand, covered, for 15 minutes. Spread out rice on a rimmed baking sheet, drizzle with dressing and let cool.
- Place mangoes and remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Add rice and toss gently to combine. Season lightly with salt and more lime juice, if desired and serve.