- Featured Content
- Wine & Cheese Club
- Hill Street Home
- Price Dropped
- Catering and Platters
Sustainability and the environment
Hill Street cares about sustainability & is pro-active in reducing our environmental footprint
At Hill Street we are committed to contributing to a sustainable and clean environment for the future. We are constantly looking for ways that we can reduce our own environmental footprint and encourage our customers to do the same.
Our journey so far
- We have eliminated plastic shopping bags from our stores from 1 November 2017.
- We encourage customers to bring their own shopping bags when shopping
- For customers who forget their bags we offer reusable tote bags or paper bags to purchase
- We work with Plastic-Wise Taroona and other groups to offer a deposit and return cloth bag library
- We reuse cardboard boxes to pack groceries and offer customers the option of a box for their shopping if they would like one
- We provide paper bags in our Fruit and Vegetable, Wholefoods and Bakery departments to replace single-use plastic bags
- We have plastic-free produce bag alternatives available in-store that our customers can purchase
- Our customers are encouraged to bring their own containers for use in our Deli
- We have removed plastic courtesy straws from our stores
- Our stores stock eco-friendly products such as beeswax wraps, silicone food wraps, reusable straws, reusable water bottles, coffee cups and food containers.
- We offer environmentally friendly cleaning products, plastic free brushware and sponges, and plastic free toothbrushes.
- All stores recycle cardboard
- Cooking oil and waste from cooking our delicious barbecue chickens are collected by farmers and recycled into bio diesel fuel
- We have reduced our food waste by donating excess product to local farmers for feeding livestock and donating to wildlife groups for the rehabiitation of wildlife affected by the recent Tasmanian bushfires.
- We are working on replacing our deli paper with a non-plastic-backed alternative
- We are moving to wooden cutlery to replace plastic courtesy cutlery in our stores
- We are trialling special scales so that we can encourage customers to bring their own containers to use for wholefoods such as nuts, flour and cereals
In the future
- We will be removing all plastic cups, straws and plates from sale and replacing them with environmentally friendly alternatives
- We will be replacing plastic wraps and foils from sale and replacing with environmentally friendly alteratives