Chilli Con Carne with Polenta
Hearty, tasty and ideal fare for a cool Tassie winter, this Chilli packs a punch. You can dial the spice up or down to suit your taste.
How long will it take?
What’s the serving size?
What do I need?
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 500g beef mince
- 2 tbsp chilli powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ cups beef stock
- 400g tin diced tomatoes
- 400g tin red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 200g passata tomato puree
- 200g polenta
- 50g butter
- Red chilli for garnish, thinly sliced
- Handful of coriander or parsley leaves for garnish
How do I make it?
- Place a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add the olive oil and onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring.
- Increase the heat to high, add the mince and cook for 5 minutes or until the mince is browned.
- Stir through the chilli powder, cayenne, cumin, garlic powder, tomato paste, sugar, salt and pepper and cook until aromatic.
- Add stock, diced tomatoes, red kidney beans and tomato puree and stir well. Bring to a gentle boil, reduce heat to med-low and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Prepare a soft polenta by following the package guidelines. Once ready add butter, season and mix well. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To serve, divide the polenta between plates, top with chilli con carne, scatter with sliced red chilli and herbs, and serve immediately.