Cheesy Chicken Meatball Casserole
The kids are back at school and easy mid-week meals are back on the menu. This easy dinner features budget-friendly chicken mince plus some hidden vegetables in a cheesy meal that’s sure to win over even the fussiest of eaters.
How long will it take?
What’s the serving size?
What do I need?
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely diced
- ½ red capsicum, diced
- 50 g button mushrooms, diced
- 1 kg chicken mince
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp Italian parsley, finely chopped, divided
- 1 tbsp basil leaves, finely chopped
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 2 x 400 g cans Italian diced tomatoes
- ¾ cup grated mozzarella
- ½ cup grated parmesan
How do I make it?
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Lightly spray a casserole dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat, then add onion and sauté until translucent. Add garlic, carrot, red capsicum, and mushrooms and cook, stirring often for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, add chicken mince, egg, 1 tablespoon Italian parsley, basil, and salt and pepper to a large bowl. Add cooked vegetables and stir well to combine.
- Use a tablespoon to form meatballs from the mixture and arrange in the casserole dish. Bake meatballs for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and top with diced tomatoes and mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve garnished with reserved parsley.