Bacon Latticed Turkey Buffe
An herby seasoned butter and festive stuffing are hidden inside this juicy bacon-topped turkey buffe.
How long will it take?
Takes 2 ½ hours
What’s the serving size?
Serves 10 - 12
What do I need?
- 5 kg turkey buffe
- 14 rashers streaky bacon
- 3 bay leaves
- 150 mL dry white wine
For the Seasoned Butter
- 125 g salted butter, softened
- 1 tbsp rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp thyme, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp sage, chopped
- 2 tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lemon
For the Stuffing
- 85 g butter
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 225 g fresh white breadcrumbs
- ½ tbsp rosemary, chopped
- ½ tbsp thyme, chopped
- ½ tbsp sage, chopped
- 1 tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 50 g walnuts, finely chopped
How do I make it?
- Begin by making the stuffing. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped onion and season with salt and pepper. Cover with baking paper and a lid and reduce heat to low. Cook for 8 -10 minutes or until the onion is completely softened. Set aside to cool. When onions have cooled add them to a mixing bowl with breadcrumbs, herbs and walnuts and stir well to combine. Set aside.
- Next make the seasoned butter, by adding butter to a bowl with chopped herbs and garlic. Zest the lemon and add to the butter mixture.
- Preheat oven to 220C.
- Use your fingers to work under the skin of the turkey breast and spread seasoned butter under skin evenly.
- Fill the neck cavity of the turkey with seasoning and use toothpicks or a skewer to secure in place.
- Use the bacon create a lattice pattern over the top of the turkey breast. Add turkey to a roasting pan, sitting on top of a trivet or if you don’t have one, you can use a couple of carrots instead. Add bay leaves to the pan and cut the zested lemon into quarters and put in pan. Add wine to the roasting pan and cook for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, reduce heat to 180C and cover the bacon with foil. Return to oven and cook for a further 1 ½ hours, or until the juices run clear when poked with a skewer.
- Remove from oven and cover turkey loosely with foil and leave to rest for 20 – 30 minutes before serving.