Pumpkin Pie is as American as stars and stripes. This delicious dessert featuring spiced pumpkin in a custard-based filling, is a staple of American Thanksgiving tables. Perfect fare for the cooler weather, it’s a lovely way to enjoy the seasonal abundance of pumpkin this winter.
How long will it take?
1 ½ hours
What’s the serving size?
What do I need?
For the pastry
- 225g plain flour
- 35g icing sugar, sifted
- 125g chilled unsalted butter, chopped
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp iced water
For the filling
- 450g peeled pumpkin, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 80g brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- 400ml thickened cream
- 3 eggs, plus 1 extra yolk
- Walnuts, Pecans and pumpkin seeds for garnish
How do I make it?
- Make pastry by blending flour and icing sugar together in a food processor. Add butter and pulse until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add egg yolk and iced water and blitz until the mixture just comes together. Shape into a ball, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200C. Line a baking tray with baking paper and arrange pumpkin on tray. Pour over honey and cover tray with foil. Cook for 35-40 minutes or until the pumpkin is tender. When removing pumpkin from oven turn temperature down to 180C. Tip pumpkin into a colander and leave it for 10 minutes to allow excess moisture to drain away.
- Put pumpkin into a food processor and blitz until it is smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Grease a 24 centimetre tart tin.
- Roll pastry out to ½ centimetre thickness on a lightly floured surface. Transfer pastry to tart tin, covering base and sides and trim the excess. Return to the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
- Line pastry case with baking paper and baking weights and blind bake for 20 minutes. Remove weights and paper and cook for a further 5 minutes or until the pastry is golden and dry.
- In a saucepan over medium heat combine golden syrup, sugar, spices and cream and stir. Heat to just below boiling point then remove from heat. Beat eggs and yolk together and then add cream and pumpkin and stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into the pastry case and bake for 30 minutes or until set. Remove from oven and allow to cool before serving. Garnish with pecans, walnuts or pumpkin seeds if desired. Serve with whipped cream.