The classic combination of chocolate and orange comes to the fore in this Jaffa Mousse. An ideal dessert for a dinner party or for a special treat for the family.
How long will it take?
4 ¾ hours including chilling time
What’s the serving size?
What do I need?
- 170 g good quality milk cooking chocolate
- 60 g good quality dark cooking chocolate
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice or orange liqueur
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp grated orange zest
- 12 tbsp unsalted butter
- 8 large eggs, separated
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp sugar
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup cream
How do I make it?
- Combine both chocolates, orange juice or liqueur, water and vanilla in a heat-proof bowl over a pan of simmering water until the chocolate melts. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- When chocolate mix is cool, use an electric mixer to whisk in the orange zest and butter until fully combined.
- In a clean bowl, beat egg yolks and ½ cup of sugar with electric mixer until thick and pale yellow, about 5 minutes. Reduce speed to low and add chocolate mixture.
- Place 1 cup of egg whites, salt and 1 tbsp sugar in a clean bowl and whisk until firm. Take one-third of the egg whites and whisk into the chocolate mixture, then fold the remainder through with a spatula. Once all the egg whites have been combined with the chocolate, use the bowl that you whisked the egg whites in to whip the cream and remaining tbsp of sugar until firm. Fold the whipped cream through the chocolate mixture and then pour into individual serving dishes or into a large serving bowl. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or preferably overnight before serving.