Lemony Easter cupcakes
Decorate these cute cupcakes with speckled eggs for a delicious Easter treat
How long will it take?
1 hour 25 minutes
What’s the serving size?
Makes 30 cupcakes
What do I need?
- 3 cups self-raising flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups caster sugar
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 cup whole milk, divided
- 2 ½ tbsp fresh lemon juice, divided
For the Lemon Cream Icing
- 2 cups cream
- ¾ cup icing sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp fresh lemon juice
How do I make it?
- Preheat oven to 190C. Line 30 holes of cupcake pans with cupcake liners.
- Sift the flour and salt together in a bowl. In a separate bowl, beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, beating until each egg is incorporated before adding the next. Mix in the vanilla extract and lemon zest.
- Gently fold the flour mixture into the butter mixture, one third at a time, alternating with half the milk and half the lemon juice after each of the first 2 additions of flour. Stir until just combined; do not over mix.
- Fill the prepared cupcake liners with batter ¾ full, and bake until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean, about 17 minutes. Let the cupcakes cool in the pans for 10 minutes before moving to a cooling rack.
- To make the icing, beat cream in a chilled bowl with an electric mixer set on low until the cream begins to thicken. Add icing sugar and lemon juice, a little at a time, beating after each addition, until fully incorporated. Increase the mixer speed to high, and beat until the icing forms soft peaks, about 5 minutes. Spread on the cooled cupcakes and decorate with speckled eggs.
TOP TIP – As these have cream in the icing it is best to store decorated cupcakes in the fridge.