We love baking with fresh seasonal ingredients and this simple, yet tasty, cake makes the most of one our favourite stone-fruits, plums. The cake is dotted with plums that lend the most marvellous flavour to the cake. Whilst it is an ideal afternoon tea cake, it’s also great served with a scoop of ice-cream for dessert.
How long will it take?
What’s the serving size?
What do I need?
- 200 g soft butter
- 165g caster sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 125 g plain flour, sifted
- 100g self-raising flour, sifted
- Pinch of salt
- 12 plums
- Icing sugar for dusting
How do I make it?
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Grease and line a 23cm spring form tin.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at time, allowing each one to be incorporated well.
- Add vanilla, sifted flours and salt together and stir in until well mixed.
- Spoon cake mix into prepared tin.
- Cut plums in half, remove stones and arrange on top of cake mixture.
- Bake for 30–35 minutes. Check cake is cooked by inserting skewer. If skewer comes out clean, remove cake from oven. If skewer is not clean, cook for a further 5 minutes and try again.
- Allow to cool and dust with icing sugar to serve.