Grilled Gremolata Prawns in Prawn Broth
A special occasion calls for a special dish and this is it. Skull Island Jumbo Prawns sit in a delicate prawn broth and are seasoned with a fragrant gremolata.
How long will it take?
Takes 40 minutes
What’s the serving size?
What do I need?
For the gremolata
- ½ bunch flat leaf parsley, very finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- Zest of ½ lemon
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Pinch of salt
For the prawn broth
- 30 prawn heads (you can use standard sized prawn heads)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 centimetre piece of ginger, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 chillies, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 1 litre boiling water
- ½ tsp salt
For the prawns
- 12 Skull Island Jumbo Green Prawns
- 3 red onions, peeled and sliced into ½ centimetre rounds
How do I make it?
- Make the gremolata by placing parsley, garlic, and lemon zest and juice in a bowl. Add olive oil and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Make the prawn broth by heating oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add ginger, garlic and chilli and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add prawn heads and toss well to mix with other ingredients. Cook for 2 minutes, then add boiling water and salt. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove prawn heads and discard. Leave broth to simmer for a further 2 minutes, then remove from heat and pass through a fine sieve, discarding any solids. Place broth in a clean saucepan and keep warm over a very low heat while you cook the prawns.
- Prepare prawns by peeling, deveining and removing the heads, leaving the tail intact. Heat a grill pan over high heat and add olive oil. Add onions and cook for 2 minutes per side or until softened but still holding their shape. Remove from heat and set aside to keep warm. Add prawns to pan and cook for 2 minutes per side.
- To assemble dish, spoon some broth into the bottom of bowls, add onion slices and prawns and top with gremolata. Serve immediately.