BBQ salmon skewers with crunchy slaw
Tasty and on the table in 30 minutes – sounds like the perfect dinner!
How long will it take?
What’s the serving size?
What do I need?
For the salmon
- 700g salmon fillet, bones and skin removed
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- Ground black pepper, to season
- 2 corn wraps, quartered
- Olive oil spray
- Basil pesto to serve
For the slaw
- 1/4 cup low fat natural Greek-style yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 teaspoons cold tap water
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- 1/4 small green cabbage, finely shredded
- 100g snow peas, topped, finely shredded
- 50g bean sprouts
- 2 tablespoons flaked almonds
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves
How do I make it?
- Cut salmon fillets length ways into 2-3cm wide strips. Combine sugar, chilli, cinnamon, olive oil and orange juice in a ceramic dish. Season with ground black pepper. Add salmon and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for no longer than 10 minutes.
- For the crunchy slaw, combine the yoghurt, orange juice, water and sugar in a large bowl, whisk until well combined. Add the carrots, cabbage, snow peas, sprouts, almonds and mint and toss gently to coat in the dressing.
- Preheat barbecue grill on high heat. Thread the salmon onto four long metal skewers or eight bamboo skewers (see Tip). Barbecue salmon, basting occasionally with the marinade for 4-5 minutes for medium, turning occasionally, or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a tray, cover and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
- Spray the corn wraps lightly with oil and barbecue 1-2 minutes each side until warmed through, serve with the salmon, pesto and crunchy slaw.
- Tip: Soak bamboo skewers in cold water for 30 minutes before use to avoid burning.
Recipe from heartfoundation.org.au