Tasmanian Mussels with Tomato, Fennel and Basil
Fresh Tasmanian Spring Bay Organic Mussels are the star of this dish that has a beautiful balance of flavours. Enjoy it with some crusty bread and a crisp white wine.
How long will it take?
What’s the serving size?
What do I need?
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large or 2 small fennel bulbs, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 300 ml white wine
- 400 g tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 kg mussels
- Large handful of basil leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
How do I make it?
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, fennel and garlic and cook, stirring for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add white wine and bring to the boil. Add tomatoes and tomato paste and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes and then add the mussels and cover with a lid. Cook over high heat for a couple of minutes or until the mussels have opened. Discard any mussels that are unopened after 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and toss in basil and season with a pinch of salt and a good grind of black pepper.
- Serve mussels in bowls with the sauce from the pan with extra basil for garnish.