Steamed Mussels with tomato and chorizo broth
This one-pot dinner is simple: sweet cherry tomatoes, earthy chorizo, and a splash of wine do the heavy lifting.
How long will it take?
What’s the serving size?
What do I need?
- 60g chorizo, casing removed, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 275g cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1.8kg mussels, scrubbed, de-bearded
- 4 slices thick country-style bread, toasted
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon or parsley
How do I make it?
- Heat chorizo and 2 Tbsp. oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until chorizo begins to brown and crisp, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and fennel seeds and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and wine and bring to a simmer; season with pepper. Cook until reduced by three-quarters, 6–8 minutes.
- Add mussels. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until mussels open, 6–8 minutes. Discard any mussels that don’t open.
- Drizzle toast with oil.
- Serve mussels topped with tarragon with toast alongside.
Recipe by Chris Morocco