Crack open the bubbles for this divine mussel dish.
How long will it take?
What’s the serving size?
What do I need?
- 30 g unsalted butter
- 1 small leek, washed well and thinly sliced
- 250 ml sparkling wine
- 1 tbsp mild curry powder
- 2 kaffir lime leaves (fresh or dried)
- Pinch of saffron
- 200 ml vegetable or fish stock
- 250 ml cream
- 1 kg mussels
- Juice of half a lemon, plus wedges for serving
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
How do I make it?
- Melt butter in a large saucepan and soften leek over medium-low heat for 5 minutes. Add sparkling and increase the heat. Cook until the sauce has reduce in volume by half.
- Add curry powder, lime leaves, saffron, stock and cream and bring to the boil.
- Tip mussels into the pan and mix into the sauce. Cover with a lid and cook until the shells have opened.
- Add lemon juice and a pinch of salt and pepper. Taste for seasoning and serve immediately, with lemon wedges on the side.