Roast ocean trout with white bean puree and baby fennel salad
Seriously impressive and on the table in 20 minutes!
How long will it take?
What’s the serving size?
What do I need?
- 70 ml olive oil
- 3 golden shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 800 gm canned white beans, drained and rinsed
- 250 ml (1 cup) chicken stock
- 1 lemon, finely grated rind and juice only (or to taste)
- 2 baby fennel, trimmed, fronds reserved
- 4 skinless ocean trout fillets (about 160gm each), pin-boned
- 20 gm salted baby capers, rinsed
- ¼ cup coarsely torn flat-leaf parsley
How do I make it?
- Preheat oven to 200C. Heat 20ml oil in a saucepan over low heat, add shallot and garlic and cook until tender (4-5 minutes). Add beans and stock, cook until reduced by half and warmed through (3-4 minutes). Pulse in a food processor until coarsely chopped, return to pan, stir through half the lemon rind and juice, season to taste, keep warm.
- Meanwhile, place trout, skin-side up, on a lightly oiled oven tray. Drizzle with 20ml olive oil and a little lemon juice, roast until cooked to your liking (5-6 minutes for medium-rare).
- Thinly shave fennel on a mandolin, place in iced acidulated water until crisp (1-2 minutes), drain well. Combine in a bowl with capers, parsley and reserved fronds. Add remaining olive oil, rind and juice, season to taste, toss to combine, and serve with roast trout and white bean purée.