Make these individual versions of the Italian favourite Christmas treat for gifting this festive season.
How long will it take?
1 hour 20 minutes, plus rising time
What’s the serving size?
What do I need?
- 2 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 500 g plain flour
- 2 x 7 g sachets of yeast
- 100 g caster sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 200 mL warm milk, plus extra for brushing
- 200 g soft unsalted butter
- 140 g mixed dried fruit
- 100 g mixed peel
How do I make it?
- Add eggs and yolk and vanilla to a bowl and beat well.
- In a separate large bowl, add flour, yeast, sugar and salt and mix. Add egg mix and milk and stir with a wooden spoon until the ingredients have combined to form a soft, sticky dough. Cover with clingfilm and set aside in a warm place to double in size.
- Use your fingers to work butter into the dough, then fold fruit and mixed peel into the dough.
- Divide dough into 10 pieces and place each piece into a lined muffin tin. Cover and set aside to rise again for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 190C. Brush tops of panettone with a little milk and bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- The panettone should be eaten within 3 days of baking and they can be frozen for up to 6 weeks.