Stuffed Celeriac with parsnip cream
A healthy vegan showstopper that everyone can enjoy
How long will it take?
2 ½ hours
What’s the serving size?
What do I need?
- 1 large celeriac, scrubbed
- 120g sweet potato cut into 1cm cubes
- 2½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 garlic clove, finely diced
- 75g mixed nuts, roughly chopped
- 125g quinoa
- 10g dried cranberries
- 25g frozen cranberries
- 40g spinach leaves, roughly chopped
- Kale, steamed, to serve
- Thyme sprigs, to serve (optional)
For the parsnip cream
- 400g parsnips, peeled and roughly chopped
- 400ml almond milk
- 1 tbsp snipped chives
- pinch grated nutmeg
How do I make it?
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Wrap the celeriac in a large piece of foil and place in a roasting tin. Roast in the oven for 1 hr. Meanwhile, bring a pan of water to the boil. Add the sweet potato, cover and cook for 8-10 mins until tender. Drain.
- Heat ½ tbsp olive oil in a frying pan. Fry half the onion with the cumin seeds and garlic for 5 mins, then add the nuts and cook, stirring, for 2-3 mins until toasted and golden. Add the sweet potato, quinoa, cranberries and spinach; season and mix well.
- Remove the celeriac from the oven, unwrap and allow to cool for 10 mins. Score an 8cm-wide circle in the top of the celeriac and, using a spoon, scoop out the middle. Score again and scoop, repeating until roughly 1cm from the bottom. Chop the scooped celeriac and stir into the grains mixture.
- Return the hollowed-out celariac to the foil in the roasting tin and spoon the grains mixture into it, piling any extra on top and around the sides. Drizzle over 1 tbsp olive oil, enclose in the foil and roast for 1 hr (opening the foil for the last 10 mins of cooking) or until the celeriac is tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining olive oil in a pan and fry the other half of the onion with the parsnips for 4 mins. Add the almond milk and 200ml water, bring to a simmer, cover, and cook for 10-12 mins until the parsnips are soft. Using a hand blender, blend the parsnip mixture. Season to taste and stir in the chives and nutmeg.
- Serve the celeriac, with the parsnip cream, steamed kale and vegan gravy (below), plus a few sprigs of thyme on top, if you like.