Vegan and gluten free A crowd-pleasing starter for your Christmas celebrations
How long will it take?
What’s the serving size?
What do I need?
- 20g dried porcini mushrooms
- ½ tbsp oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 350g mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme, plus extra sprigs to garnish
- 60ml port
- Gluten-free crackers or bread (toasted), to serve (optional)
How do I make it?
- Soak the porcini mushrooms in 150ml boiling water for 30 minutes to rehydrate them.
- Drain, keeping the liquid and then finely chop. Fry the shallots in oil over medium heat for 5 minutes until softened, then add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add fresh mushrooms and thyme and simmer for 10 minutes or until the liquid has reduced and the mushrooms have started to brown a little.
- Add the porcini mushrooms and the port to the pan and allow to bubble until the port has cooked off.
- Strain the reserved porcini mushroom liquid to remove any grit and then add to the pan.
- Allow the mixture to bubble until almost all of the liquid has cooked off. Season well and leave to cool completely.
- Blend in a blender or food processor to a rough paste and transfer to a bowl or jar to serve.
- Garnish with a few sprigs of thyme and serve the pâté with gluten-free crackers or toasted bread. It will keep in a sealed jar in the fridge for up to 1 week.