Almost too cute to eat … almost!
How long will it take?
What’s the serving size?
What do I need?
For the cupcakes
- ¾ cup plain flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 80g butter
- ½ cup milk
- 2 eggs
For the chocolate frosting
- 1 cup butter
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 – 3 cups icing sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- Pretzels for antlers
- Red M&Ms or Jaffas for noses
- White chocolate, melted for eyes
- Brown M&Ms for eyeballs
How do I make it?
- Preheat oven to 160C.
- Prepare a 12-hole muffin pan by lightly greasing and lining with patty pans.
- Sift all dry cupcake ingredients into a mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the middle of the bowl and add remaining cake ingredients.
- Beat on low speed with an electric mixer for 4 minutes.
- Distribute cupcake mixture evenly into the patty pans and cook in oven for 15-18 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Set aside to cool.
- To make the chocolate frosting, beat butter with an electric mixer. Add 2 cups icing sugar, milk and half the cocoa powder and beat well. Add more icing sugar if needed to reach your desired consistency.
- Take half the mixture and place in a separate bowl and set aside for later.
- Add remaining cocoa powder to the frosting mixture and blend well to combine.
- To assemble cupcakes, coat the top of each cupcake with dark frosting. Then add a circle of the light frosting for the reindeer’s muzzle.
- Stick a red M&M or Jaffa on for Rudolph’s nose and insert pretzels for antlers.