Aromatic spiced quail are the ideal way to start a special meal.
How long will it take?
30 minutes plus 3 hours to marinate
What’s the serving size?
What do I need?
- 6 quail
- ½ tsp black peppercorns
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1 tbsp allspice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 5 tbsp olive oil, divided
How do I make it?
- Use a sharp knife or kitchen scissors to remove the backbone from the quail and flatten out the bird with the palm of your hand.
- Add salt, pepper, and spices to a frying pan over medium heat. Toast spices, stirring frequently for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add toasted spices to a mortar with garlic and grind into a paste. Add 4 tbsp olive oil and then rub the mixture over the quail and leave to marinate for at least three hours.
- Preheat a grill pan or barbecue to high. Drizzle remaining olive oil over quail and grill breast-side down for two minutes, until golden. Turn and cook for a further 3-4 minutes, until cooked to your liking.
- Serve with a green salad or rice.