Grilled cos lettuce and bacon salad
Fresh heads of cos lettuce are split down the middle, grilled until charred and smoky, and then topped with parmesan, tomatoes and bacon for this satisfying salad.
How long will it take?
What’s the serving size?
What do I need?
- 6 bacon rashers
- 1/3 cup whole egg mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp buttermilk
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp finely chopped chives
- 5 heads baby cos lettuce, halved lengthwise, rinsed and dried
- 3 gourmet tomatoes, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 80g parmesan cheese, grated
How do I make it?
- Heat bacon in a frying pan over medium heat, and cook, turning once, until crisp. Transfer bacon to a plate and let cool, then roughly chop and set aside.
- In a bowl combine mayonnaise, buttermilk, white wine vinegar, garlic and chives and whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat a grill pan over medium heat or heat barbecue grill to medium-hot. Place cos halves cut-side down on grill, and cook, turning once, until charred and slightly wilted, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer lettuce cut-side up to a serving platter, and season with salt and pepper; drizzle with dressing, and sprinkle with bacon, tomatoes and parmesan.