Gluten Free Christmas Fruit Mince Pies
Mince Pies are a quintessential part of Christmas, renowned for their delicately buttery pastry and tasty fruit mince filling. These will keep in an airtight container for 1 week.
How long will it take?
1 hour, plus chilling time
What’s the serving size?
Makes approximately 12
What do I need?
- 225 g plain gluten free flour
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- 100 g unsalted butter, chilled and cut into cubes
- 70 g icing sugar
- 2 large free range eggs
- 350 g fruit mince
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
How do I make it?
- Add sifted flour and xanthan gum to a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Add cubed butter and rub it into the flour with your fingers until it is the texture of breadcrumbs.
- Add icing sugar and stir to combine, then add 1 egg and mix to form a rough ball.
- Knead pastry with your hands until it is smooth, then wrap in clingwrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 180C and grease a 12 hole regular (not Texas size) muffin tin.
- Roll pastry out to a 4 millimetre thickness on a lightly floured surface and then use a 7 centimetre cookie cutter to cut out 12 circles. Use a star shaped cookie cutter to cut out 12 stars.
- Put the pastry circles into the muffin tin, pressing it into the base and sides.
- Add fruit mince and then top with pastry stars.
- Whisk remaining egg with a fork and egg wash the stars, then sprinkle with caster sugar and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool.