Christmas tree brownies
These festive treats look fabulous and make a delicious gift. Find a lovely box to pack them in, tie with Christmas ribbon and proudly present your hand-made gift. If you want to dial up the Christmas factor you can also add a splash of brandy, dried cranberries and nuts
How long will it take?
What’s the serving size?
What do I need?
- 200g unsalted butter cut into cubes, plus extra for greasing
- 100g dark chocolate, chopped
- 100g milk chocolate, chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 300g golden caster sugar
- 100g plain flour
- 50g cocoa powder
- ½ tsp mixed spice
How do I make it?
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Grease and line a 20cm x 20cm brownie tin.
- Melt butter and milk and dark chocolate in a heat proof bowl in the microwave. Do this in 30 second bursts, stirring after each until the chocolate is fully melted. Set aside.
- Whisk eggs and caster sugar in a large bowl with electric beaters. Once the mixture is pale, fluffy and looks like it’s roughly doubled in volume, whisk in the melted chocolate.
- Fold in flour, cocoa powder and mixed spice until well combined.
- Pour into your prepared tin and use a spatula to smooth the top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. The top should look set and shiny but should be a little wobbly if you gently shake the tin.
- Set aside to cool in the tin and then place in the fridge to set completely.
- Leave refrigerated for 30 minutes, then remove and cut into triangular-shaped pieces. Decorate with green icing and return to the fridge until ready to serve.