Truss Tomato Salad with Duo of Basil
Sometimes simple is best and this pared-back salad allows its ingredients to shine. Fresh tomatoes and creamy bocconcini are dressed with green basil oil and crisp purple basil chips. It’s a combination that can be enjoyed as a side salad or a chic entrée.
How long will it take?
What’s the serving size?
What do I need?
- 8 truss tomatoes, sliced
- 1 bunch purple basil
- Olive oil
- 150 g bocconcini balls
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the Basil Oil
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 cup tightly packed basil leaves
- Pinch of salt
How do I make it?
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Rinse purple basil leaves well and pat dry between two sheets of paper towel or two clean tea towels. Lay the basil leaves on the baking tray and spritz with olive oil or cooking spray and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake for 5 to 8 minutes or until crispy. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Make Basil Oil by blanching basil leaves in a pot of boiling water for 10 seconds. Remove, strain and dunk in ice water. Remove from water and squeeze to remove excess water. Add leaves to a food processor with olive oil and a pinch of salt. Blend until the basil is pureed. Strain to remove any solids and set aside.
- To serve, drizzle plates with olive oil and arrange tomatoes on top. Add bocconcini balls and dollop basil oil on top of tomatoes. Lay purple basil chips on plate and finish with a grind of black pepper.