Roasted Sweet Potato and Black Bean Salad
A fabulously tasty salad that can be enjoyed warm or cold. If you like chilli, you can add more chilli flakes or even spice things up with thin slices of jalapeno.
How long will it take?
What’s the serving size?
What do I need?
- 1 kg sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- Juice of 2 limes
- 400 g can black beans
- 1 small red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 large avocado, peeled and chopped
- 1 handful coriander, chopped
- 2 spring onions, chopped
How do I make it?
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Pour 1 tbsp of olive oil onto a baking tray and add sweet potatoes. Add another 2 tbsp oil, along with the salt and a couple of generous grinds of black pepper. Arrange sweet potato evenly in the tray and roast for 20 minutes, then turn and roast for a further 10 minutes, or until the sweet potato is tender and golden.
- Meanwhile add pumpkin seeds and remaining olive oil to a frying pan over medium heat. Cook, watching closely for 2 minutes or until the pumpkin seeds are starting to change colour, then remove from the heat and season with salt and chilli flakes. Set aside.
- Remove sweet potatoes from the oven and pour over pumpkin seeds and olive oil mix. Pour over lime juice.
- Drain and rinse black beans and add them to the tray. Add red onion, avocado, coriander and spring onions and toss to combine.
- Spoon salad into a serving bowl and serve warm or cold.