Crispy Freeze-Ahead Roast Spuds
Get a head-start on your Christmas preparations with these super crunchy roast spuds that can be made up to 3 months ahead and frozen.
How long will it take?
1 ¼ hours
What’s the serving size?
What do I need?
- 2 ½ kg potatoes, peeled
- 2 tbsp sea salt flakes, divided
- 6 tbsp semolina
- 6 tbsp Luv-a-Duck duck fat
How do I make it?
- Cut potatoes in half, or quarters if large.
- Add potatoes and half the salt to a large saucepan of water. Bring to the boil. Cook for 7 minutes, then drain, cover with a lid, and leave to steam for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, shake the pan to rough up the potatoes.
- Add semolina to the saucepan with remaining salt. Shake saucepan with the lid on to coat in the semolina.
- Preheat oven to 220C. Divide duck fat between baking trays and place in the oven until the duck fat has melted, then arrange potatoes in baking trays in a single layer. Cook for 50 minutes, turning once, until crispy and golden.
- If making ahead, prepare until the point of cooking in the oven. Place potatoes on lined trays leaving space between so they don’t stick together. Freeze for 2 hours and then transfer to freezer-safe containers.
- Potatoes can be frozen for up to 3 months and cooked from frozen in a 200C oven.