Pumpkin, Leek, and Thyme Gratin
Pumpkin and leek are an excellent flavour combination, and this recipe sees them baked with cheese and thyme in a flavourful gratin. Enjoy it as a side dish or on its own for a meat-free meal. You can use any pumpkin variety for this recipe, butternut, grey, and Kent all work well.
How long will it take?
What’s the serving size?
What do I need?
- 150 g leek, white and green parts
- 1 ½ tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp finely chopped thyme, divided
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 kg pumpkin
- 100 g mozzarella, grated, divided
- 60 g parmesan, grated, divided
- 100 mL cream
How do I make it?
- Cut leeks in half lengthways and chop into thin slices. Place in a colander and rinse thoroughly, then drain well.
- Melt butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add leeks and half the thyme. Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the leek has softened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 200C. Grease a baking dish and set aside.
- Peel pumpkin, remove seeds and thinly slice. Layer half the pumpkin in the baking dish and sprinkle with some mozzarella and parmesan. Arrange leeks over the top and add more cheese, then cover with remaining pumpkin.
- Pour cream over, sprinkle with remaining cheese and thyme, and bake for 35 minutes, or until the pumpkin is tender and the cheese has melted.