Asparagus tart with crumbled feta and walnuts
Make ahead for an easy dinner that is delicious served hot or cold
How long will it take?
Approximately 1 hour
What’s the serving size?
Serves 2 as a main course or 4 as an entrée
What do I need?
- 2 sheets frozen shortcrust pastry, thawed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 125g semi-dried tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped
- 2 bunches (340g) asparagus, trimmed, blanched, cut in half crossways
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 40 g feta, crumbled
- 1/4 cup walnuts coarsely chopped
- mixed salad, to serve
How do I make it?
- Preheat oven to hot, 200°C
- Line base and sides of a lightly greased 35 x 11cm (base measurement) fluted tart pan with removable base with pastry. Trim excess pastry. Using a fork, prick base.
- Place on a baking tray. Line pastry with baking paper; cover base with dried beans, rice or pie weights. Bake-blind 10 minutes. Remove weights and paper; bake a further 5-8 minutes, or until just coloured. Cool slightly.
- Reduce oven temperature to moderate, 180°C.
- Heat oil in a medium frying pan over moderate heat. Add onion; cook, stirring, 5 minutes, or until soft. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- Stir in tomato. Spread tomato mixture over base of pastry case.
- Whisk eggs, cream and salt and pepper in a medium jug until combined. Pour evenly over tomato mixture; then place asparagus spears, side by side, on top. Bake 25-30 minutes, or until set. While hot, crumble feta over the top of the cooked tart and allow to cool slightly, then sprinkle with chopped walnuts. Serve with salad.