Whole Stuffed Mushrooms
Fresh and flavourful, these vegetarian stuffed mushrooms make a delicious dinner for the family served with a crisp salad, or an easy entrée for a dinner party.
How long will it take?
What’s the serving size?
What do I need?
- 16 whole mushrooms, about 7 centimetres in diameter
- 4 tbsp olive oil, divided
- ¼ cup brown onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp parsley, finely chopped, divided
- 75 g baby spinach leaves
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup Parmesan, grated
- 1 tsp oregano, finely chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
How do I make it?
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Wipe mushrooms with paper towel to remove any excess dirt. Remove stems from mushrooms and finely chop.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add onion, garlic, chopped mushroom stems, and 3 tablespoons parsley to the frying pan. Cook for 2 minutes, then add spinach and reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally for a further 5 minutes, or until the spinach has wilted and the other ingredients are soft.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and add breadcrumbs, parmesan, oregano and salt and pepper to taste.
- Arrange mushrooms in a lined baking tray. Spoon a little tomato paste on top of each mushroom, then stuff the mixture into the mushrooms, pushing down with a spoon to fill them well.
- Drizzle remaining olive oil over the mushrooms and cover the baking tray with foil. Cook in oven for 20 minutes, then remove the foil and cook for a further 10 minutes, or until the mushrooms are golden brown.
- Garnish with remaining parsley and serve while hot.