Red Onion Tarte Tatin
Caramelised red onions atop a crispy pastry base is the perfect dish for entertaining.
How long will it take?
Takes 45 minutes
What’s the serving size?
What do I need?
- 1 large sheet of ready-rolled puff pastry
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 large red onions
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Fresh thyme sprigs
How do I make it?
- Preheat oven to 175C.
- Peel onions and cut into thick rounds. Pour enough olive oil into an ovenproof frying pan to thinly coat the base and heat over medium-high heat. Add onions to the pan and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low and cook for 5 minutes, then flip onions and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Arrange onions in an even layer in the pan. Mix sugar and balsamic vinegar together and pour over the onions, then remove from heat.
- Cut pastry into a circle to fit the pan, allowing a little overhang. Place pastry on top of the onions, ensuring that they are completely covered and tuck excess pastry into the sides of the pan. Use a fork to poke a few holes in the pastry and place in the oven to cook for 20-25 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit for 5 to 10 minutes, then place a serving plate over the frying pan and quickly flip so that the onions are on top.
- Garnish with thyme sprigs and serve.