Whole Roasted Eggplant with Spiced Bulgur and Feta
This tender roasted eggplant with a gently spiced, aromatic bulgur filling is a feast for all the senses.
How long will it take?
1 ¼ hours
What’s the serving size?
What do I need?
- 4 eggplants
- 200 g bulgur wheat, rinsed
- 400 mL vegetable stock
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced, divided
- 100 g chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 100 g red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Pinch of dried chilli flakes
- 2-centimetre piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely diced
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp flat leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 200 g vegan feta, crumbled
How do I make it?
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Place eggplants on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Prick the skin with a fork in several places, then roast for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, allow to cool slightly, then slice a slit into each eggplant and scoop out about half the flesh into a bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate roasting tin combine bulgur wheat, stock and half the red onion and cook for 25 minutes or until the bulgur is fluffy and all the stock has been absorbed. Remove from oven and set aside to cool slightly, then add eggplant flesh, chickpeas, beans, coriander, garlic, chilli flakes, ginger, soy sauce, and olive oil and toss to combine.
- Spoon the bulgur wheat mixture into the eggplants and return to the oven to roast for a further 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and drizzle with lemon juice and crumble with feta. Scatter reserved onion and parsley over the top and serve immediately.