Herby Eggplant Involtini
Tender slices of eggplant encase a herby cauliflower rice stuffing. Served with a tahini sauce these make a great entrée or double the recipe and serve as a main course.
How long will it take?
Takes 30 minutes plus cooling time
What’s the serving size?
Makes about 10
What do I need?
- 2 eggplant
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 cups cauliflower rice
- ½ tsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/3 cup mint, chopped
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 1 ½ tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 2 tbsp tahini
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp water
- Fresh herbs, chopped to serve
- Freshly ground black pepper to serve
How do I make it?
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Slice eggplants lengthwise into 1 centimetre thick slices. Brush eggplant with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Place on a lined baking tray and cook for 5 minutes, flip and cook for a further 5 minutes or until golden and tender.
- Meanwhile heat ½ tsp olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add cauliflower rice and sauté for 5 minutes or until softened. Transfer to a bowl and put in the fridge to cool.
- When the cauliflower has cooled add parsley, mint, pine nuts and onion to the bowl and stir to combine. In a small bowl whisk together 1 ½ tbsp olive oil, red wine vinegar and half the garlic. Pour over the cauliflower and stir.
- In a separate bowl whisk tahini, lemon juice and remaining garlic with water until smooth.
- Assemble by placing a spoonful of the cauliflower mixture onto the wide end of an eggplant slice and rolling. Repeat with remaining slices.
- Serve with tahini sauce, and garnish with chopped herbs, pomegranate arils and a good crack of black pepper.