Super-easy Plum Jam
You’ll be enjoying plum jam for months to come with our super-easy recipe that has just four ingredients and needs no pectin.
How long will it take?
What’s the serving size?
Makes approximately 2750 mL jam
What do I need?
- 2 kg plums, washed
- 125 mL water
- 1 ½ kg white sugar
- 30 mL lemon juice
How do I make it?
- Preheat oven to 130C for sterilising jam jars.
- Wash jars either in hot, soapy water or in the dishwasher, then place jars and lids on a baking tray. Heat in the oven for a minimum of 20 minutes to sterilise.
- Halve plums and use the tip of the knife to remove the stones from the plums. Cut plums into halves again, then place into a large saucepan with the water.
- Place saucepan over medium-low heat and bring to a gentle simmer. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the plums are soft.
- Remove lid and add sugar and lemon juice and stir well. Continue cooking, stirring frequently until the sugar has dissolved.
- Increase heat and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring frequently for 5 – 10 minutes. It is important to watch the jam very closely at this point and to stir it frequently so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Cook the jam until the temperature reaches 105C. If you don’t have a thermometer you can check the jam by dropping a teaspoon of jam onto a cold surface (a plate chilled in the freezer is ideal). Put the jam on the plate in the freezer for 1 minute and then check the consistency by running your finger through the middle of the jam. If it is the right consistency the jam won’t join back up in the middle. If it does join back up, it needs further cooking, so return to the heat for a further 5 minutes before checking again.
- Once the consistency is right, remove from the heat and set aside for 10 minutes to allow the fruit to distribute evenly throughout the jam.
- Carefully ladle the jam into sterilised jars and screw the lids on while the jars are hot as this will create a seal.
- Set jars aside to cool completely, then label and store in a cool, dark place.
- The jam should be refrigerated after opening.