This festive marmalade is the perfect accompaniment to Christmas ham or added to a cheeseboard. It’s also great spread in a sandwich with leftover ham or turkey.
How long will it take?
40 minutes, plus cooling time
What’s the serving size?
Makes approximately 350 grams
What do I need?
- 100g brown sugar
- 500g red onion, thinly sliced
- 30g dried cranberries
- 25ml red wine vinegar
- 50ml port
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp olive oil
How do I make it?
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onions and a pinch of salt. Cover with a lid and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 10 minutes remove lid, add sugar, thyme and cranberries. Cover with lid and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Remove lid and add vinegar and port and turn heat up. Bring to a boil and cook uncovered until the liquid is nearly all evaporated and the onions are very soft. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- Store marmalade in a sterilised jar in a cool, dark place for up to 6 months. When opened, store in the fridge for up to 1 month.