Comice pear and apple chutney
An exotic heady winter chutney
How long will it take?
What do I need?
- 1.5kg Comice pears, peeled, cored and diced into 3 centimetre pieces
- 1kg Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and diced into 3 centimetre pieces
- 2 cups pomegranate juice
- 4 cups apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups of sugar
- ½ red onion diced
- ½ cup sour cherries
- 10 centimetre piece of ginger- grated
- 2 red chillis seeded & diced
- 1 star anise
- Salt & Pepper to taste
How do I make it?
- Bring pomegranate juice, vinegar, sugar and star anise to a boil in a large stockpot.
- Reduce heat to medium high and cook until liquid is reduced to 2 ½ – 3 cups. It should be rather thick and syrupy.
- Add the pears, apples, ginger, chilli, onion, and cherries and cook until the fruit is soft- about 30 minutes.
- Lower heat and cook down further until the liquid is very thick
- Remove from heat and let rest for about 30 minutes before spooning into sterilised jars
- Enjoy this chutney with brie, on sandwiches, with roast pork or with basmati rice and naan.