Thai chicken coconut soup
You cant go wrong with this Thai classic
How long will it take?
What’s the serving size?
What do I need?
- 125g cellophane noodles
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1–2 red Thai (or jalapeño) peppers, seeded and finely chopped (plus slices for garnish)
- 1 additional red Thai (or jalapeño) pepper slices for garnish
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon (or lime) juice
- 4 tablespoons Thai fish sauce, divided
- 225g shiitake mushrooms, sliced (3 cups)
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 150g each), cut into 1cm-wide strips
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 2 tablespoon chopped coriander (plus sprigs for garnish)
- Coriander sprigs for garnish
How do I make it?
- Place noodles in a bowl; add enough warm water to cover and let sit until soft, this will take about 15 minutes.
- Once soft, drain the noodles. Combine stock, pepper, garlic, ginger, lemon zest, lime zest, lemon juice and 3 tablespoon fish sauce in a medium saucepan. Season with salt. Bring to a simmer, add noodles and cook 3 minutes more.
- Using tongs, transfer noodles to a bowl and cover with foil to keep warm. Add mushrooms to stock; season with salt, if desired; simmer 3 minutes more. Add chicken and coconut milk and simmer, stirring, until chicken is just cooked, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in spinach until it begins to wilt, about 1 minute. Add chopped coriander and season with remaining 1 tablespoon fish sauce.
- Using tongs, divide noodles among 2 bowls. Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with sprigs of coriander and slices of pepper.