No eggs? No worries … 5 substitutes to save the day
It’s a chilly Sunday afternoon and you’ve slipped into something comfortable (aka pyjamas and ugg boots) so you can spend the remainder of the weekend warm and relaxed. Your plans include spending the afternoon reading or binge-watching something on Netflix. Of course you’ll need snacks and you know exactly what you want because it’s quick, easy, chocolatey and delicious; it’s chocolate mug cake. Imagine your disappointment when you discover that there are no eggs in the house. You need not worry though, there’s no need to abandon your plans or to head out in the cold to get more eggs because we’ve got five clever substitutes that you can use in place of an egg.
1. Aquafaba – the liquid from a can of chickpeas is a go-to for vegan cooking because it is a great substitute for egg. All you need to do is strain the liquid from the chickpeas and beat it with an electric mixer until it looks like beaten egg white. Add 3 tablespoons of aquafaba per egg as a substitute.
2. Yoghurt – simply swap each egg for ¼ cup of plain yoghurt.
3. Banana – substitute ¼ cup of mashed banana for 1 egg. Keep in mind that unlike some of the other swaps, banana tends to leave behind a banana taste so if you’re not keen on that, choose one of the other options.
4. Avocado – mash up ¼ cup of avocado and use it to replace 1 egg.
5. Apple sauce – if you have a jar of apple sauce on hand then use ¼ cup for each egg that you are replacing.
So now you’ve got the ingredients sorted, here’s our recipe for Chocolate Mug Cake.