Easter terrarium … an easy gift you can make
If you’re looking for a stunning non-chocolate Easter gift idea, our DIY terrarium is the answer. Amazingly simple to make, it looks fantastic and has the added bonus of being a gift that will keep on giving long after the Easter Bunny has disappeared for another year.
What you’ll need
- A clear glass container, you can upcycle a large coffee jar or use a glass vase or bowl or even an old fishbowl
- Small pebbles (the type that you use in fish tanks are ideal) or sand
- Activated charcoal
- Potting mix
- Small plants or cuttings
- Easter decorations
- Place some pebbles or sand in the bottom of the container, these help with drainage.
- Add activated charcoal on top of the pebbles or sand.
- Top with potting mix, ensuring that you make it deep enough that the plants can establish their roots.
- Add plants and moss to the soil, cuttings from your garden are fine to use or try succulents if you have them available.
- Finally add in some small rocks and Easter themed decorations like the cute bunnies we used.
- The great thing about these is that when Easter is over you can remove the Easter themed decorations and enjoy the terrarium as it is; then when Christmas comes around you can add some festive decorations to give the terrarium a new look.
Caring for your terrarium
Although you should keep your terrarium out of direct sunlight, it is important that is has access to natural light. Don’t water it too often or it will become too moist and mould can develop. Instead, a spray of water every now and then is all that it will need.