King kiwi … why you should be eating kiwi fruit every day
Do you struggle to eat your recommended “2 and 5” (two fruits and 5 vegetables) every day? Then there’s one fruit you should include in your fruit bowl because it is, gram for gram, superior to any other fruit in nutritional value. What is this vitamin-packed powerhouse?
It’s the kiwi fruit, often overlooked due to its unassuming, brown, fuzz-covered exterior. But cut into it and you’ll find a spectacular starburst of bright green fruit loaded with goodness. Five amazing kiwi facts:
· With almost twice the amount of vitamin C as an orange, kiwifruit contains eight times the nutrients of an apple!
· They come into season in late autumn and are at their juiciest best right through winter - exactly when we all need a bit of extra vitamin C.
· Also knows as yang tao in their native China, seeds were brought to New Zealand in 1904 by a school principal, Isabel Fraser.
· Cultivated and sold as “Chinese gooseberries” until the late 1950s, the name was then changed to kiwi fruit after New Zealand’s famous bird the kiwi, also small, brown and fuzzy!
· Daily consumption of kiwi fruit has health benefits which include reduced blood clotting (they are as effective as a daily aspirin for heart health), lower cholesterol, and with twice the antioxidants of apples, have anti-cancer properties too. And they’re a great source of fibre.
Set yourself up for the day with this delicious kiwi smoothie - blend up a banana, 3 kiwis (skin optional), 1 cup Greek yoghurt, 1 cup water, and 2 cups of spinach. Yum!